NAIDOC Week celebrations are held across Australia each July to celebrate the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. The week is a great opportunity to participate in a range of activities and to support your local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.
NAIDOC Week 2018 will celebrate the invaluable contributions that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women have made at the community, local, state and national levels.
What can you do?
Here are 5 simple things you can do to celebrate NAIDOC Week:
- NAIDOC Week events - NAIDOC Week is celebrated by local community events taking place across Australia. Search here for an event where you can share in the celebrations.
- Display the NAIDOC Week poster in your workplace - You can download a copy of the poster here.
- Watch and share TV programs and films that celebrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women - As part of NAIDOC Week, NITV have put together a great program of films and shows.
- Promote Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander voices - The @IndigenousX twitter account is a platform for Indigenous people to share their knowledge, opinions and experiences.
- Speak out, be active and be political - Some ideas include contacting your local MP to demand they take action this year to support the Uluru Statement or calling on the Parliament to take action to reduce incarceration rates by signing our petition.