There are serious reports of abuse, self-harm and neglect as a result of Australia's offshore processing regimes on Nauru and Manus Island on an almost daily basis. Now the Government wants to ban these people from ever being able to enter Australia, even as tourists.
Enough is enough. Our inhumane and degrading policies towards refugees and people seeking asylum have gone on for too long. That's why the Edmund Rice Centre is calling for a bipartisan response to resolve the crisis in Australia’s offshore detention system, including:
- Bringing people currently on Manus Island and Nauru to safety in Australia and ending "Operation Sovereign Borders";
- A significant increase in funding to the UNHCR
- Increasing our humanitarian intake to at least 30,000 people per year
- Leading efforts to establish a durable regional cooperation framework to provide people with protection pathways - before needing to get on a boat; and
- Improving public discourse and debate towards refugees and people seeking asylum.
Sign the petition to call on Malcolm Turnbull and Bill Shorten to put partisan politics to one side and work together to bring those sent to Nauru and Manus Island to safety in Australia.